We provide fun Stand Up Paddle lessons, rentals and tours of Lough Derg, new this year is our weekly Race series and our river trips, call for more information.
Phone: 086 7337141
Killaloe Heritage Centre
Phone: 00353 (0)61 361511
The Cathedral in Killaloe is also name after St. Flannan, and was built in the thirteenth century on the site of the orignal cathedral built by Donal Mor O’Brien which was destroyed in 1185. There are many interesting stones and carvings in the cathedral. During the reformation, the cathedral was converted to a Protestant cathedral, and is still used for worship to this day.
Inis Lua, sometimes known as Friars Island, was the site of St. Lua’s Oratory. When the Shannon hydroelectric scheme was instigated in the nineteen twenties, the church was moved stone by stone to a new site at the top of the hill beside the Church.
St. Flannan's Oratory, named after the patron of Killaloe, is a twelfth century Romanesque church in the town.
The Aillebaun Walk starts in Killaloe and climbs to the site of the old High Kings palace at Kincora. There is a spectacular view of the Catholic church and St. Lua’s Oratory.
Greenanlaghna Fort on the south easter slopes of Crag hill are the remains of a ring fort dating from the sixth century. The fort was abandoned in the late ninth century.
Killaloe is a good centre for trout and coarse fishing on Lough Derg, with trout particularly good in May and in Autumn. Hiring a boat is advised.
Doon Lough 8 miles from Killaloe is a very good coarse fishery particularly for bream, and boat fishing for large pike.