The Gaelic name for Lisnaskea is ‘lios na sceithe’, which translates to ‘Ringfort of the Shield’, and the original settlement can be traced back to the second century AD, and is predated by a four thousand year old burial site high above the town known as ‘The Moate’. This burial site was also used from the thirteenth century as a location for the crowning of Kings.
There is a monastery to the south of the town which is associated with St. Ronan, who died sometime before 635AD, with some interesting vaults and tombstones to be seen in the adjoining graveyard. Also of interest is the Medieval road, which once linked the city of Derry to Dublin.
The strategic location of the town led to many changes in leadership, from Sir James Balfour during the plantation in 1615 to the Earls of Erne in 1821. Many of the fine ston buildings in the town were erected by the Ernes, and were transferred to the stewardship of the Fairs and Markets Committee in 1919.